Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I am the Grandmother of an aborted Baby

I started this blog in September 2011 shortly after my son confessed to me that his girlfriend aborted their baby back in 2009. He kept it from me all that time because he knew how badly it would hurt me and he wanted to protect me. I believe that he just couldn't stand the grief alone anymore, and so he finally told me. "It's really messed me up." I know son, I know how it can mess you up.

I cried, a lot. Not just for my Grandchild, but for my son and his (now ex) girlfriend. A life time of pain and regret will follow them, along with the wondering, what would he be like if he were here today.

I never felt anger at either of them, just absolute and profound sadness. I also felt responsibility that not speaking out more strongly to prevent this from happening to the next generation. And I feel regret that I was not given the opportunity to love and support both my son and his girlfriend, but I understand that. I did not give the opportunity to my parents either, more regret.

I read this blog this morning, it touched me. I really respect this woman Kelly Clinger and I think she is very brave. Now I see where she gets it from and I am inspired:

http://www.lifenews.com/2011/11/07/abortion-through-a-grandmothers-eyes-forgiveness-healing/