Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Don't Like Abortion, Don't Have One, Problem Solved

If you want to see the debate on abortion in full tilt, head over to Youtube and check  out the comments on the 180 Movie http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=7y2KsU_dhwI


It's actually quite eye opening. Abortion is not usually something discussed in polite company, and even if it is, people are cautious about expressing their views. In the comment section of the 180 Movie, under the cover of anonymity, people are free to express their true views.

It's hard to read sometimes. The willful ignorance of the facts that abortion is the killing of an innocent  human being is one thing, however, the acceptance of it even after the fact is acknowledged is quite another. I find it actually quite frightening.


I wonder about the people engaging in this discussion. They are probably quite normal, like the people I know. Maybe I work with some of them, maybe they're my neighbors, maybe they go to Church with me. 


How can it be that these perfectly normal people have come to the point where they  can knowingly, accept and in some cases promote the killing of a human being in their mother's womb? This is the part that I cannot quite grasp, and the comment section of the 180 Movie doesn't quite explain it to me. 


The comment "Don't Like Abortion, Don't Have One, Problem Solved" appeared today, presumably by someone defending abortion. How far can we take that in a morality discussion? Does society really have no say in the matter of human life and death and the protection of the innocents? This attitude of you don't get to tell me what to do is quite absurd if you take it to the murder of a birthed person, or the molestation of a child, or the robbing of a bank. "Don't like robbing a bank, don't rob one, problem solved." In other words, don't push your morality on me, even if my morality has a victim. 


I do agree with the statement in a larger context. Until we change the hearts and minds of women seeking abortions, we cannot end abortion. So, to that degree we must keep on speaking out, educating and offering viable options. We must help the mother's facing a crisis pregnancy, so that more people "Don't Like Abortion". Problem Solved.